What is Oracle License Optimization?
Oracle License Optimization is the process of ensuring that an organization is properly licensed for the Oracle software that it is using in a way that minimizes costs and compliance risks. This can involve a number of different steps, including reviewing the organization’s current Oracle licenses and usage, identifying any potential over-licensing or under-licensing, and negotiating with Oracle to obtain the most cost-effective and appropriate licenses. It can also involve implementing processes and tools to track and manage Oracle usage to ensure that the organization stays in compliance with its licenses and does not incur any unnecessary costs.
Why you should do Oracle license optimization:
Oracle software licenses are known to be expensive, with the Oracle database enterprise edition costing 47,500 $ per processor. If you have a large number of database licenses, even small optimizations can lead to significant savings.
Here are five ways to do Oracle license optimization:
- License non-production environments with named users plus licenses. This can optimize your licensing by 50%. Many companies make the mistake of incorrectly licensing non-production environments with Oracle processor licenses.
- Oracle can grant special licensing rights for test and development environments, reducing the user minimums for database products from 25 per processor to 10. This can cut licensing costs by 60%.
- Review the usage of Oracle applications and determine if all users who currently have access to Oracle EBS or similar actually need to keep their licenses. Our experience has shown that over 30% of users do not need access to these applications.
- Check if the hardware platform you are using allows for hard partitioning or sub-capacity licensing. If it does not, consider switching to a hardware platform that does allow for sub-capacity licensing. This can yield significant Oracle licensing optimization results.
- Move to Oracle Cloud, the only platform that allows you to license both on vCPU and allows you to choose all the Oracle products you need. AWS and Azure also offer vCPU licensing, but it is only available for Bring-Your-Own-License.
It is worth taking the time to optimize your Oracle licensing to potentially save a significant amount of money. By following the above steps, you can effectively cut your licensing costs and ensure that you are only paying for the resources and access you actually need
Our Oracle License Optimization service typically includes the following:
- Review of current Oracle license agreements and usage: The service provider will review the organization’s current Oracle license agreements and usage to identify any potential over-licensing or under-licensing.
- Identification of cost-saving opportunities: The service provider will identify opportunities to optimize the organization’s Oracle license costs, such as by consolidating licenses, negotiating volume discounts, or switching to more cost-effective license models.
- Negotiation of new or revised Oracle license agreements: The service provider will work with the organization and Oracle to negotiate new or revised Oracle license agreements that are more cost-effective and appropriate for the organization’s needs.
- Implementation of license management processes and tools: The service provider will assist the organization in implementing processes and tools to track and manage Oracle usage, to ensure compliance with its licenses, and to avoid unnecessary costs.
- Ongoing support and guidance: The service provider will provide ongoing support and guidance to the organization to help it manage its Oracle licenses and optimize its costs over time. This may include regular reviews of Oracle usage and license agreements, as well as assistance with any questions or issues that arise.