Oracle Weblogic Licensing & Introduction
You will further down read how Oracle Weblogic Licensing works, but lets write do a quick review, what is Weblogic? – Weblogic is a Java EE application server and a Java application platform developed by Oracle Corporation. It is used for building, deploying, and running Java-based applications and services, particularly those based on Enterprise JavaBeans (EJBs). WebLogic is a popular choice for enterprises due to its support for a wide range of features and technologies, including support for the Java EE specification, integration with Oracle databases, and support for web services.
There are several editions of Oracle WebLogic available, each with its own set of features and capabilities. These editions include:
- Oracle WebLogic Server Standard Edition: This edition is designed for organizations that need a reliable and scalable platform for developing and deploying Java-based applications. It includes support for Java EE, web services, and integration with Oracle databases.
- Oracle WebLogic Server Enterprise Edition: This edition is designed for organizations that need the additional capabilities of a full-featured application server, such as support for high availability, failover, and load balancing. It includes all of the features of the Standard Edition, as well as additional capabilities for mission-critical applications.
- Oracle WebLogic Server for Oracle Cloud: This edition is designed for organizations that want to deploy their applications on Oracle’s cloud platform. It includes all of the features of the Standard Edition, as well as support for cloud-specific features such as elastic scaling and integration with Oracle Cloud services.
- Oracle WebLogic Server Suite: This edition is designed for organizations that need a complete, integrated application development and deployment platform. It includes the Standard and Enterprise editions of WebLogic, as well as additional tools and technologies for building, testing, and deploying Java-based applications.
In addition to these editions, Oracle also offers a number of add-on options and features for WebLogic, such as support for additional languages, support for additional databases, and support for cloud deployment.
One of the key features of Oracle WebLogic is its support for Java EE. Java EE is a specification for building enterprise-grade Java-based applications, and WebLogic is fully compliant with the specification. This means that developers can build and deploy Java EE applications on WebLogic with confidence, knowing that they will be able to take advantage of the latest technologies and best practices for building enterprise-grade applications.
WebLogic also includes a number of features and capabilities that make it well-suited for enterprise applications. For example, it includes support for high availability and failover, so that applications can continue to run even if there are problems with the underlying hardware or software. It also includes support for load balancing, which allows applications to scale up and handle more traffic as needed.
WebLogic is also well-integrated with Oracle databases, which makes it easy for developers to build applications that rely on data stored in Oracle databases. It includes support for JDBC (Java Database Connectivity), which allows applications to connect to and query Oracle databases, as well as support for SQLJ (SQL for Java), which allows developers to embed SQL statements directly in Java code.
Finally, WebLogic includes support for web services, which allows applications to communicate with other applications and systems over the internet. WebLogic supports a wide range of web service standards, including SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol), WSDL (Web Services Description Language), and JAX-WS (Java API for XML Web Services).
In summary, Oracle WebLogic is a powerful and feature-rich application server and application platform that is well-suited for building, deploying, and running Java-based applications and services. It includes support for a wide range of features and technologies,
Weblogic Standard vs Enterprise Edition
Here is a comparison of the key features of Oracle WebLogic Server Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition:
WebLogic Standard Edition:
- Support for Java EE
- Support for web services
- Integration with Oracle databases
- Management and monitoring tools
- Security features
WebLogic Enterprise Edition:
- All of the features of Standard Edition
- High availability and failover
- Load balancing
- Advanced management and monitoring tools
- Additional security features
- Integration with other Oracle products, such as Oracle Cloud
Overall, the main difference between the Standard and Enterprise editions of Oracle WebLogic is the level of features and capabilities included. The Standard Edition is a basic application server with support for a wide range of features, while the Enterprise Edition includes additional capabilities for building and deploying mission-critical applications
Oracle WebLogic Licensing
Oracle WebLogic Server is licensed using a perpetual licensing model, which means that customers pay a one-time fee for the license and can use the software indefinitely. The specific terms and conditions of the license, including the price, depend on the edition of WebLogic that is being licensed and the number of users or processors that will be using the software.
Oracle offers several editions of WebLogic, including Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, and WebLogic Server Suite.
- Oracle WebLogic Standard Edition is licensed per occupied CPU socket.
- Oracle Weblogic Enterprise Edition is core based licensing (use Oracle core factor to calculate Oracle licenses)
- Oracle Weblogic Suite is core based licensed (use Oracle core factor to calculate licenses)
- Both WLS EE and Suite have user minimums for licensing per user, using Oracle named user plus.
- All Weblogic are either licensed per processor and or named user plus licenses
- Oracle WebLogic license cost is $ 10,00 per processor license
- Oracle Weblogic Enterprise Edition license cost is $ 25,000 per processor license.
- Oracle Weblogic Suite is $ 45,000 per processor license.
Licensing Oracle Weblogic in VMWare
If you license Oracle in Weblogic it is important to be aware that Oracle does not recognize vCPUs as means of limiting Oracle Weblogic. You need to count all the physical hosts in all vCenters. (It usually means it is unfeasable). The only alternative is to negotiate with Oracle a network and storage isolation agreement to limit the licenses required for WebLogic in VMware.
Oracle WebLogic Licensing in AWS
Oracle have given special licensing rights to AWS, this means that in EC2 you license Oracle Weblogic to count that 2 vCPU if multithreading is enabled as 1 processor license.
Oracle WebLogic Licensing in Azure
Oracle have given special licensing rights to Azure, this means that in Azure you license Oracle Weblogic to count that 2 vCPU if multithreading is enabled as 1 processor license.
Oracle WebLogic Licensing in GCP
Oracle does not recognize Google Cloud as a authorized cloud vendor. This means you need to license the full cluster or environment, as you did license Weblogic for your onpremise deployment.
Oracle WebLogic License Review (How we can help you)
Our Oracle WebLogic license review service is designed to help organizations understand their current WebLogic licensing status and ensure that they are in compliance with Oracle’s licensing terms and conditions.
During the review, we will assess your organization’s current WebLogic deployment and usage to determine the appropriate edition and features that are required. We will also review your current license agreements and compare them to your actual usage to ensure that you are not over- or under-licensed.
Based on the results of the review, we will provide you with a detailed report that includes recommendations for optimizing your WebLogic licensing, as well as any necessary corrective actions to ensure compliance. We will also provide guidance on how to avoid common licensing pitfalls and ensure that you are getting the most value out of your WebLogic investment.
Our team of experts has extensive experience with Oracle licensing and is well-versed in the latest licensing rules and best practices. We will work with you to ensure that your organization is fully compliant with Oracle’s licensing terms and that you are getting the most value out of your WebLogic licensing.